How much meat do you need?
你需要多少肉?
How many potatoes do you want?
你想要几个土豆?
Are they fresh enough?
够新鲜吗?
注意“enough”在修饰形容词或者是副词时,要放在它们的后面。
Dress the fish.
把鱼内脏掏洗干净。
dress v. 清洗干净,去内脏
What are you cooking?
你在做什么饭?
cook v. 做饭 n. 厨师
The meat will scorch.
肉要烧焦了。
scorch v. 烧焦
Dice the eggplant.
把茄子切成丁儿。
Slice the eggplant.
把茄子切成片儿。
Peel the eggplant.
把茄子皮削掉。
eggplant n. 茄子
“dice”“slice”“peel”分别意为“切成丁儿”“切成片儿”和“去皮”。
The gas cooker doesn’t work.
煤气灶坏了。
句中“cooker”的意思是“炊具”,不是“厨师”的意思。
It’s in the cabinet.
在橱柜里。
cabinet n. 橱柜
Hand me a plate.
递给我一个盘子。
Give me two bowls.
给我两个碗。
Why are there so many cockroaches in here?
这里为什么这么多蟑螂啊?
cockroach n. 蟑螂
I want to leave the stew to simmer for 5 minutes.
我想把炖肉煨5分钟。
stew n. 炖肉
simmer v. 煨,炖
Boil some water.
烧点水吧。
The water is boiling.
水开了。
The water is too hot.
水太热了。
boil v. 煮沸,沸腾
I smell gas. Switch it off.
= I smell gas. Turn it off.
我闻到煤气味了。把煤气关了。
switch off = turn off“关掉”
It’s still not mixed well enough.
还没有搅拌好。
mix v. 使混和,混淆
Whisk two eggs.
打两个鸡蛋。
whisk v. 搅拌,打蛋
Could you put some ice in each glass, please?
你能在每个杯子里放些冰吗?
Add some soy sauce.
加点酱油。
Pour some vinegar.
倒点醋。
vinegar n. 醋
This knife is too dull.
这把刀太钝了。
dull a. 钝的,不锋利的
2.实用对话
Cooking做饭
Adam:I’d like to help pitch in with dinner.
亚当:我想帮忙一起做饭。
Sophie:Really? You’re joking.
苏菲:真的吗?你在开玩笑吧。
Adam:No. I’d like to do something special for you on your birthday.
亚当:没开玩笑。我想在你的生日为你做点儿特别的事情。
Sophie:I’d like that. Alright, put on this apron first.
苏菲:很好。好吧,先把这个围裙系上。
Adam:OK…Now how can I help, hon?
亚当:好的…现在,我怎么帮忙,亲爱的?
Sophie:Hmm, let me see… Boil some water and then whisk two eggs.
苏菲:嗯,让我看看…烧点水,然后再打两个鸡蛋。
Adam:Easy. I could do that with my eyes closed.(after a while)Done.
亚当:这容易。我闭着眼睛都能干。(过了一会儿)做好了。
Sophie:Not bad. Okay, now take some meat and potatoes from the fridge.
苏菲:还不错嘛。好,现在从冰箱里拿点儿肉和土豆来。
Adam:How many potatoes do you need?
亚当:你需要几个土豆?
Sophie:Three. And bring four bell peppers.
苏菲:三个。再拿四个青椒。
Adam:Gotcha… OK. Here they are.
亚当:明白…好了,拿来了。
Sophie:Now wash them, then dice the potatoes and bell peppers. Then slice the meat.
苏菲:现在把它们洗一下,然后把土豆和青椒切成丁儿,然后再把肉切成片。
Adam:Where’s the peeler?
亚当:削皮刀在哪儿?
Sophie:It’s in the cabinet… Adam, the gas cooker doesn’t work.
苏菲:在橱柜里…亚当,煤气灶坏了。
Adam:What? Oh, shit! I cut my finger.
亚当:什么?哦,该死!我切到手指了。
Sophie:Let me take a look at that… I can’t stop the bleeding. We need to go to the hospital.
苏菲:让我看看…我没法给你止血。我们得去医院。
Adam:I guess cooking is not as easy as I thought.
亚当:我想做饭并不像我想的那么简单。
3.详细解说
1.“pitch in(with sth.)”在这里表示“加入进来帮忙(做某事)”。例如:If we all pitch in, we’ll have it finished in no time.(如果我们大家都加入进来帮忙做,我们马上就能完成了。)
2.“hon”是“honey”的简写形式,意为“亲爱的”,为称呼语。
3.“bell pepper”指“青椒”(颜色可以是红、黄、绿)。
4.“gotcha”在这里表示“明白了”,相当于“I understand.”。